The IGA provides the administrative and event support for the annual UK and Eire Glaucoma Society conference. The Society is a national scientific society and a non-profit organisation. The aims of the society are to:
- Establish personal contacts and to promote the exchange of knowledge between glaucoma specialists and those involved in the management of glaucoma patients in the UK and Eire.
- To stimulate glaucoma research by bringing together basic scientists and clinicians involved in glaucoma research, thereby establishing a scientific community with similar interests, aims and objectives together with a sense of comradeship and active co-operation.
- To promote an interest in glaucoma as a sub-speciality in trainee ophthalmologists and those in related occupations.
- To keep contact with other glaucoma societies within and outside the two nations.
- To promote, protect and foster the interests and care of people having or at risk of developing glaucoma.