Our Mission, Vision and Values
The International Glaucoma Association is the charity for people with glaucoma, an eye condition that may lead to loss of sight. Our mission is to raise awareness of glaucoma, promote research related to early diagnosis and treatment, and to provide support to patients and all those who care for them.
To achieve this, we:
- Provide information, advice and support through our telephone Sightline service and internet forum for patients and others with specific concerns
- Publish and distribute in print and via the IGA website a wide range of booklets and leaflets aimed at patients, carers and professionals. All information is regularly updated and approved by specialists
- Distribute regular newsletters to our members covering various issues related to the care of people with glaucoma
- Fund a range of research projects to advance the knowledge of the causes of glaucoma and to develop more effective methods of diagnosis and treatment
- Organise patient support groups and organise meetings for patients where members can hear from experts in glaucoma and share their experiences
- Campaign for improved quality of care and services at local and national levels
- Organise an annual National Glaucoma Awareness Week
- Work with other organisations worldwide.
Our vision is to ensure that all people with glaucoma and those at risk should have the knowledge and access to care they need to avoid preventable sight loss.
Compassion - We will treat everyone who needs our help and assistance with empathy, sincerity and care.
Honesty - We will conduct ourselves and our activities with trust and integrity.
Excellence - We are passionate about everything we do, and committed to "going the extra mile" individually and collectively.
Equality - We respect each other and value diversity.
Relevance - We will evolve to serve the needs of our audience so that we reamin relevant both today and tomorrow.